Old 14-11-2003, 11:02 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Default Whats the difference between a cultivar and a species?

Not necessarily true, beeky.

"Graft hybrids" are chimeras with combinations of tissue from scion and
stock originated from grafts.

Do a google search and you will find several examples of "graft hybrids".

"Graft hybrids" are named as cultivars.

wrote in message
Peter,

Grafting is a method of propagation. Nothing new is produced by

grafting.
In fact, the reason grafting is useful as a method of propagation is that

all
plant parts involved in the graft retain their original characteristics.

-beeky

Peter Jason wrote:

Thank you for the replies. I am searching the US patent office plant
database for new species but most are "cultivars" which are produced by
grafting. In short I am looking for a case where grafting procedures
produce new species without viral interaction. I take it, then, that if

cultivar can be cross bred with anything, and then produce Mendalian
breeding charateristics, we have a brand-new species?

wrote in message
species in animals means those individuals that can breed and produce

fertile
offspring, but plants means can produce viable seed when pollinated by

another of
same species.
cultivar is an unusual mutation AKA sport. For example, hosta are all

one
species,
but you will see hosta that are blue, hosta that are splashed with

white
or yellow.
these are cultivars and reproduced usually by division. in orchids

this
is even more
important cause the cultivar is registered and cloned to make

thousands of
identical
plants. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List