Old 15-11-2003, 02:42 AM
Bob

Default Converting grass lawn to vedgie garden.

wrote in message
My little lady and I finally got out of apartment living to buy

little condo with about 500 square feet of grass that we'd like

turn into a vedgie garden. So.. .I went out and got a shovel,

a hoe
and a pickaxe. We weeded out what wasn't grass and set to work
breaking up the sod.

Now, we live in Hawaii so the sod is thick, thick, thick. So

thick,
in fact, when I pull a chunk out and examine the cross-section,

it's
hard to decide where grass+air ends and roots+soil starts.

It's
coming up like carpet.

How do I break this up to be ready for vedgies?

Rent a sod cutter. Strip the sod off and compost it. Till the
garden. Removing the sod also removes most of the weed seeds, so
you will end up with a more weed-free garden than you could
otherwise.

Bob