Old 15-11-2003, 03:02 AM
Chris Cochrane

Default [IBC] Pine bark

Hi Jim.

You asked Billy re' Composted Pine Bark Soil Conditioner,
I'd worry a bit about the "composted" part in our hot,
humid climate, Billy. Doesn't it dissolve at the end of
the first year?

I know fresh wood chips draw nitrogen from the soil (bad for plant growth)
and assumed freshly-stripped bark (not necessarily the exfoliating outer
layers) would also draw nitrogen from the soil. The composted bark I've
seen bagged is still pretty fresh (maybe too fresh) when sold at the
building supply stores in central Virginia. I imagine "composted" is
marketed like aged fine wine, but not closely regulated.

Is "composted" a notion of weathered or a legally proscribed bandwidth of
organic decomposition between "freshly harvested" and "dust."

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA USA

++++Sponsored, in part, by Carl Rosner++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++