Old 15-11-2003, 03:22 AM
vincent p. norris

Default Vertical cracks, trunk of Asian pear tree

this could be winter damage. the side facing the sun heats up in winter, the part in
shade doesnt, the bark splits from unequal expansion. I painted my new pear trees
white to reflect the sun so this wouldnt happen. it wont kill the tree, but insects
might get in there. paint the trunks with white latex. Ingrid

Gee, Ingrid, we hadn't had any winter before I noticed the cracks,
except for two mild frosts. Could it have happened that fast?

Thanks for the suggestion, but white paint will look pretty bad next
summer. Would a cardboard cylinder do as well?

(Hope I don't seem ungrateful for the help!)

vince norris