Old 15-11-2003, 04:22 AM
Jim

Default [IBC] over-wintering Japanese maple

I have a couple of Japanese maple saplings

that I kept outside in pots. With the cold

temperatures coming (zone 7), I was originally

planning to bury the pots in the soil for

the winter.

I recently ran across an article about

over-wintering in the refrigerator! Can I

actually use the crisper compartment to

store those saplings?!

shireen,

I am also in zone 7, central Arkansas, and either would work. I have kept
five needle pine in a fridge for the past three years and it works well for
me and assures their dormancy requirements. Most plants require a period of
about 1,000 hours for dormancy and the fridge will keep the temps at about
34 to 35 degrees which is ideal.

Jim Harwood, zone 7b

central Arkansas

++++Sponsored, in part, by Carl Rosner++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++