Old 15-11-2003, 08:02 AM
Kenneth Bruyninckx

Default orchid in chinese ink brush painting

Janet,

Don't have my books on the subject at hand right now, but maybe you
should have a look at Prof. I-Hsiung Ju's site (
http://www.ihsiungju.addr.com/index.html ), I bought his book recently
and to me it seems good.
That is where I got my idea of the grass orchid being Cymb. goeringii
and the marsh orchid being more something like Cymb. ensifolium
(because of indication of flowering period and some explanations of
the leaves).

I have also seen a reference in there to the "heart" of the orchid,
although I do not remember anymore what they meant by that :-)

But, your description of "hair-like things" puzzles me... where are
they located ? At the base of the plant, on the flower stalk ?

kind regards,

Kenneth.

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 15:22:51 -0500, Janet Price
wrote:

This is the book my instructor showed us, and I've read elsewhere that
it's a bad translation. But if the orchid is a cym. what are the
hair-like things? And someone brought in another book that referred to
the calyx. And what is the "heart" of the orchid? Is this the column
and the lip? I like to understand what I'm trying to represent.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Janet