Old 15-11-2003, 08:02 PM
John Savage

Default Doin' Some 'Shrooms...

Down Under On The Bucket Farm writes:
My small outdoor space is already filled with veggies, so I am
looking for indoor arraingements for the mushrooms (don't they
like the dark?)

Why don't you buy a mushroom kit and gain some experience from
it? This will give you a better idea of what is involved.

Is anybody here doing this? Is it possible to just start with
some supermarket mushrooms, and get the spores out of that?

It is possible to harvest spores from supermarket mushrooms. Just
place one of the fully open ones in a brown paper bag in the vegetable
section of your fridge, and a few days later the bag underneath the
gills will have a layer of dark dust. There you have millions of spores.
What you are going to do with them is another matter. :-)

I have seem some random mushrooms growing wild, but I am cautious
for safety reasons.

Caution is very sensible. But once you know what to look for, it is
easy. Only harvest the clones: smooth white dome top, pink gills,
regulation size and shape, growing beside a clump of rotting cow dung.
Well, that's the Aussie ones, yours may be different.

Get someone to show you, and after a few days of showery weather you can
go out into the field and harvest to your heart's content. The beauty of
the wild ones is that they have unrivalled flavour, nothing like your
bland supermarket ones. If in doubt, leave that mushroom be and move on
to the next one.

Make sure you store harvested mushrooms in paper bags, not plastic, or
they will go mouldy very quickly.