Old 15-11-2003, 08:02 PM
White Monkey

Default Time to get responsible!

Give the Phals as much warmth as you can
cause they really don't like going dormant.

OK. Thanks! They're back in the living room now. Do they mind drafts of hot
air, if they're misted/washed enough? Not like a hair dryer or anything;
it's just that there's one shelf in here that gets a constant bath of desert
air, as it were, moving upward from the heater. If that's fine I can move
some over by the heater, but most plants aren't happy there, at least in our
experience. It even nearly killed a pothos and a sansevaria! The rest of the
room is nice and warm by day, not so bad by night, and the plants are fine
where they are now for heat, but will get a bit crowded if another one shows
up...

I think your Milt. is one
of the cool growers (the pansey type).

I hope so. It's a rescue job for a Euro, but that doesn't mean I'd be less
unhappy if it keeled over.

'Dancing Ladies' is not a real
name, just a generic commercial type name.

Yeah, I know. But it's what I see it and other very similar ones labeled as
most often. There's a real lack of Latin labeling these days, at least here.
Here's a link to a picture I found with a Google search that looks like the
flowers on this one. Not that I'm saying it's definitely THAT one, mind
you--but it's near enough as damn it, as they say.
http://homepages.tcp.co.uk/~nroberts...m_goldiana.JPG

But I would think you would
be offered the more cool growers over there and not our warm lovers.

That's what they keep telling me.... I can't afford to go to real growers,
either, so most of these are rescued from florists who don't know what they
are specifically (or, often, generally!), but who DO stock the ones they're
less likely to kill in this climate through lack of knowledge. Except the
two new phal's I got in Germany. They're not labeled any better, but you
sure can tell they were grown and "stored" with some care, compared to these
others. One poor new phal I rescued a week ago even has huge, oblong leaves,
I mean HUGE, and a massive spray of GORGEOUS white and purple flowers--and
clear evidence that someone's been chopping its roots off to stay in this
tiny pot, God knows for how long. Now, I'm no expert, but I'd say that's
bad. Poor thing has no crown to speak of, just massive leaves and big
flowers coming straight out of the ground. Not so much medium as old, dried
out roots in there. But it sure is vigorous! I'll ease it into feeling a
little better, then give it some room and some nice new medium. Poor thing.
It was 4 Euros, stuffed behind some cyclamen and sedge and a croton at a
balcony-gardens stall at a nearby market.

There are both in Onc. genus. Also there are warm growing Milts. As
you surf around the net about orchids (try google.com) you can find
information about all of them.

Yup, getting to be a real junkie about that. You should see my "want list"
just based on ones I come across online, not to mention my "sure wish it
wasn't impossible here" list.

Now I need to go mix up my fert. - my shadehouse needs food!!

Feed, feed!

Thanks again for your help.

--Katrina

---