Old 15-11-2003, 08:12 PM
animaux

Default -cone flowers-

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:16:55 GMT, Janet Baraclough
opined:

Did you get rid of it because you prefer native plants, or some other
reason? How big do they grow in your warm climate?

Janet (just planted one)

They are an invasive plant, here in Texas. The N.domestica (aka heavenly
bamboo) spreads by underground runners. They are noxious to the point they are
finally on a "don't plant" list, put out by our agricultural agents. One plant
can become 10 feet tall and as wide, but not from one base, they spread and go
deep. I have six plants and in the four years after the builder put them in,
they had to be cut back at least 25 times and covered a border in the front of
my house about 30 feet wide...and running.

There are other nandina's which will do well here and not invade. 'Nana' is one
which has beautiful color and stays evergreen. Just the N.domestica is the one.

Also, yes, I am trying to remove all non-native species and replace with
natives. Slowly, I'm getting there.

Victoria