Old 15-11-2003, 08:12 PM
animaux

Default Converting grass lawn to vedgie garden.

If you know what kind of turf this is, the answer will be more accurate. If
it's coming up like carpet, it is probably St. Augustine or Zoysia sod. When I
convert turf to a bed I mow it as low as the mower will allow, and I fully water
it 2 nights before I am going to work it. In Hawaii you don't have to water,
as it rains there almost daily, no?

Anyway, you will need a thin tine fork. Stick that into the sod and bring it up
and the soil will come with. I sit there and pry apart the roots and separate
the soil from the clump. That's painstaking, but you will have beautiful soil.
The chunks which don't break easily I push through a sieve I made from hardware
cloth and an artists stretcher frame...cheap.

Then I add whatever amendments of compost, lavasand, basalt, greensand, etc.

I would not suggest using any chemical method to get rid of turf as I can see
others have. It's nice to get in the soil and feel around. There is a great
sense of accomplishment and when the plants feed you, you know exactly what they
are growing in.

Victoria

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 19:43:53 GMT, opined:

My little lady and I finally got out of apartment living to buy a
little condo with about 500 square feet of grass that we'd like to
turn into a vedgie garden. So.. .I went out and got a shovel, a hoe
and a pickaxe. We weeded out what wasn't grass and set to work
breaking up the sod.

Now, we live in Hawaii so the sod is thick, thick, thick. So thick,
in fact, when I pull a chunk out and examine the cross-section, it's
hard to decide where grass+air ends and roots+soil starts. It's
coming up like carpet.

How do I break this up to be ready for vedgies?

Thanks in advance.