Old 15-11-2003, 09:22 PM
Roy

Default Prickly pear: What's the law?

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 02:44:41 GMT, billy_bunter wrote:

===Purple Linny spluttered almost incoherently...:
===
=== Hello ppls,
===
=== I would like to start a cactus garden and wondered what the law says
=== regarding taking prickly pear from the side of the road or wherever. I
=== live in Texas. It's not that I begrudge paying for it - it's cheap
=== enough. I bought an unpotted aloe for 99c on the way back from Mexico
=== one time and it has opened out and grown into a stunning plant.
===
=== Anyway, I figured if I could legally take some, then I would.
=== If not, I won't!
=== I've searched the net and found virtualy nothing.
=== Any help would be appreciated.
===
=== TIA
===
===It is indeed illegal under state laws in Texas, and quite expensive. If You
===wanted to take it out of someone's yard it wouldn't be a problem (unless
===the owner of the land objects!). Take it from the wild and the fine is
===about $500.....

Most likely its illegal in most if not all states to remove natural
fauna without a permit. This includes non game animals birds reptiles
etc, as well as vegetation.

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.