Old 15-11-2003, 09:42 PM
Ted Byers

Default Grrr

"Geir Harris Hedemark" wrote in message
"Ted Byers" writes:
But then, my health has degenerated to the point I can't shovel the

snow, so

Ouch. That isn't good.

No, but when there is no safe, effective treatment, let alone a cure, there
is nothing to do but grin and bear it.

I am diabetic and have a diabetes related neuropathy which causes rapid
fatigue, insensitivity to real physical damage (such as stepping on a tack
or staple), and sometimes severe phantom pain (mine is, on a good day, much
worse than any toothache or headache I ever had; and on a bad day thousands
of times worse ...). It is the neuropathy that can't be safely or
effectively treated. The diabetes itself, in my case, can at least be
controlled with insulin combined with some oral medication.

hundreds of dollars worth of damage. Fortunately, he was honest enough

admit he screwed up and took full responsibility for it.

While you were staying still? Would he have had a chance anyway?

Yes, I was completely stopped, and no, he would not have had a chance
anyway. But he wasn't particularly concerned since he didn't own the taxi
and thus, unless his boss had a policy of making the drivers pay for damage
they cause, he wouldn't be out any money. Of course, his boss wouldn't have
been too pleased since every collision in which his drivers are involved
leads to significantly higher insurance premiums.

I have to be a bit more diligent in watering because the air gets quite

dry,
especially during the winter! A friend of mine tells me he gets his to
thrive because, in his experience, his orchids love very high humidity.

It does? I have a humidity problem in the winters. I don't let in much
outside air when it gets below -15C. The gas hob and shower generates
enough moisture to keep a steady 55-70%. Of course, I tend to get
problems with rot.

We have forced air heating, here, and during the winter indoor humidity can
be as low as 20%. I have had my humidifier going all out and still observed
indoor humidity no higher than 35%. But we're in a house about twice as old
as I am. We replaced all the windows this summer, and notice a reduction of
our heating bill by close to half. When I finish the insulation project, I
expect similar gains. But some colleagues here tell me that adding
humidifiers to the furnace won't help all that much. I can see a shower in
a small house or in an apartment helping a great deal, but not a house as
large as this one.

As you might expect, I tend not to have trouble with rot, but plants will
sulk if I forget to water. :-)

Cheers,

Ted