Old 16-11-2003, 01:02 AM
Robert Moore

Default [IBC] out of print: which do you want re-published?

Hi Folks
I've been following this with interest. But ultimately the
difficulty is that any reprinting would need to be full colour, high
quality, wouldn't it? And a publisher would need to be looking at
substantial sales to even recoup production and printing costs.
The anthology idea is neat for a reader, but a problem for a
publisher. As the extent of the book is enlarged, the production
costs are too. It seems (to me, only as an editor, not a techo
production person) that the economies of scale are only there when
you can get good sales numbers. Making fatter books just increases
the cost of production.
Probably what could be done is to secure the rights and
reproduce things as pdf files - the production costs are much, much
less. But then they wouldn't be those beautiful, interesting, useful
objects I love so much.
The only answer, I suspect is to have bonsai ( and bonsai
book buying) become much more popular, so that the projected number
of sales entices a publisher into taking something on. I'd love to
hear of a way of doing it, otherwise. All the books quoted make me
salivate at the thought of a reprint!

Cheers

Rob

++++Sponsored, in part, by Carl Rosner++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++