Old 16-11-2003, 01:32 AM
zxcvbob

Default Prickly pear: What's the law?

billy_bunter wrote:

Purple Linny spluttered almost incoherently...:

Hello ppls,

I would like to start a cactus garden and wondered what the law says
regarding taking prickly pear from the side of the road or wherever. I
live in Texas. It's not that I begrudge paying for it - it's cheap
enough. I bought an unpotted aloe for 99c on the way back from Mexico
one time and it has opened out and grown into a stunning plant.

Anyway, I figured if I could legally take some, then I would.
If not, I won't!
I've searched the net and found virtualy nothing.
Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

It is indeed illegal under state laws in Texas, and quite expensive. If You
wanted to take it out of someone's yard it wouldn't be a problem (unless
the owner of the land objects!). Take it from the wild and the fine is
about $500.....

Are you sure about that? I thought prickly pear was considered an invasive
weed.

Best regards,
Bob