Old 16-11-2003, 05:02 AM
Fito

Default new to composting--any tips?

"tiger x" wrote in message
om...
"Compostman" wrote in message

You don't say where your live, so I have no idea what your Winter

weather is
like. And you don't say what you put in your compost pile other than

snake
oil (I mean "accellerator"), so it's pretty hard to give tips. I can

advise
not to waste your money on additives to the compost pile. Compost

happens
naturally.

My compost pile has never performed like it should; i.e. no noticeable
heat and very long breakdown periods. I have always wondered about
adding a septic tank treatment(Rid-ex or equivalent) to the pile,
since it's purpose is to break down organic solids. Since the compost
is used for flowers instead of vegetables, I do not think unwanted
bacteria would be a problem. Has anyone tried this? Any problems with
it?

Tiger

Go here for a discussion on Rid-X:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...520004.html?12