Old 16-11-2003, 05:42 AM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

Default Rye or Ryegrass for Winter Green Mulch?

In article ,
Steve wrote:

I thought I remembered seeing both in the Johnny's catalog years ago.
Here, compare these descriptions. Either might work for what you want to do:
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog2/...92&name=Winter
%20Rye%20(Common)&topcatid=5&subcatid=6&subcatid2= 6&subcatid3=&type=Cover%20Cr
ops%20&%20Farm%20Seeds&search_keywords=rye&page=1

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog2/...89&name=Ryegra
ss&topcatid=5&subcatid=7&subcatid2=7&subcatid3=&ty pe=Cover%20Crops%20&%20Farm%
20Seeds&search_keywords=rye&page=1

Those links are long! If they don't work for you, go he
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/ , enter either catalog and search for Rye.
Look at ryegrass and winter rye.

If you decide to go with winter rye, a quick search lead me to this site:
http://www.kentuckyamerican.com/kyam...ainsandLegumes
.htm

We get a lot from Johnnys but i have to say that the rye we got from
them last year did not do well here in Missouri Z5b/6 at all. My DH
says he got it this year from Millers but i think he meant Mellingers.
It is doing a LOT better than the stuff we had last year.