Old 16-11-2003, 06:32 AM
Warren

Default BAGS OF LEAVES

Romy Beeck wrote:
I have big bags of whole leaves just laying there to put in my garden

next
spring. Should i had water to them. I'm in wisconsin where it gets

cold this
winter.Will they rot good enough just laying there can anyone help

make it
better.Any advice would be great.I put a few small holes in the bags

Thank
you

Take them out of the bags, and spread them over your vegetable garden.
Run over them with the lawn mower to chop them up. Cover with manure. If
you have a tiller, go ahead and till it. Consider covering with a tarp.
When the ground unthaws, and is no longer wet, till in some more manure.
By the time you start planting your tomato and pepper starts, they'll be
decomposed, and contributing to the soil. Unless those leaves get mixed
with some soil, they're not going to decompose much at all in or out of
the bags.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Celebrate Christmas with The Simpsons
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/simpsons.html