Old 16-11-2003, 11:32 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Default BAGS OF LEAVES

Romy Beeck said:

I have big bags of whole leaves just laying there to put in my garden next
spring. Should i had water to them. I'm in wisconsin where it gets cold this
winter.Will they rot good enough just laying there can anyone help make it
better.Any advice would be great.I put a few small holes in the bags Thank
you

I would suggest that you shred them up somehow and till them in this fall,
rather than wait until spring. You could spread them out where you plan to
till them in and use a lawnmower.

If you plant to use them as mulch, it would be best to shred and store them
in heavy plastic bags DRY. (We do this every fall.) Shredded leaves are
also easier to compost. Feeding them through a lawnmower can work.
Running a string trimmer up and down through a garbage can of leaves
has sometimes been suggested. There are leaf vacuums that shred, and
there are stand-alone electric leaf shredders. (At the Kiewicz place, we
scrounge bags of leaves from the neighborhood, pour them out, suck them
up with a leaf vacuum and direct the output into a leaf shredder. And yes,
all that work is worth it -- though I wish you could just BUY shredded,
compressed leaves like you can Canadian peat.)

(attributed to Don Marti)