Old 16-11-2003, 02:42 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] out of print: which do you want re-published?

Hi Folks
I've been following this with interest. But ultimately

the
difficulty is that any reprinting would need to be full colour,

high
quality, wouldn't it? And a publisher would need to be looking

at
substantial sales to even recoup production and printing costs.
The anthology idea is neat for a reader, but a problem

for a
publisher. As the extent of the book is enlarged, the

production
costs are too. It seems (to me, only as an editor, not a techo
production person) that the economies of scale are only there

when
you can get good sales numbers. Making fatter books just

increases
the cost of production.

Well, all that is true -- unfortunately -- but one or two
publishers (Sterling comes to mind in the USA) seem to think that
there is SOME money to be made in bonsai books (mostly --
unfortunately --copy-cat beginner's books that all go over the
same information with more or less the same quility and amount of
detail). There _could_ be an incentive for these publishers to
re-print (then keep in print [or available on disk -- something
like a print-on-demand scheme]) a few books that are actually
GOOD. In the age of computers, there is less hassle in keeping
the page layouts, etc. around than there used to be with large
paste-ups, and bulky plates. You could keep most of these books
we've been talkng about stored on a single CD.

And yes, I eagerly await a look at Dan Barton's "new" book.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Carl Rosner++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++