Old 16-11-2003, 03:04 PM
Bob Hobden

Default What a Wonderful Year

Sue wrote in message
I've just been sitting by the waterfall in the garden. The sun is beaming
down and it's warm enough for spring. Mid November.
The Penstemons are still in full bloom and there are still tomatoes

ripening
on the greenhouse Tumblers.
Himself has dug up some perfect new potatoes and is busy preparing the
Sunday Roast.
And the new puppy has just tried to pull my prized Lobelias out of the

pond
margins.... ah well, can't have everything perfect!

Has this been the most perfect year ever? We've had spring in January,
occasional showers but no real rain, a perfect summer and a spectacularly
beautiful autumn. Living in West Wales means the grass has stayed green

and
lush throughout the year.
Oh why can't it always be like this!

Ok, the weather was nice but it was much too dry for veg growing. The Peas,
well they couldn't stand the heat at all, even with watering, so our normal
home frozen supply that usually lasts until the earlies come on does not
exist this year. Indeed we no longer have any self saved seed to plant next
year. Autumn Caulis are only now coming into curd weeks late, Leeks are
small even those from "pips", Swedes are a total nonsense, all the
winter/spring brassicas are well behind. Autumn planted onions and garlic
are only now showing above ground.
Nice outdoor Toms though and no sign of blight at all. (Trialled "Ferline",
a blight resistant strain, but it wasn't tested).
Also nice "Chertsey" carrots which is strange considering, and with no sign
of carrot fly (?) and a good year for spuds too despite the usual slug
damage.

At least the weeds didn't grow at all this year so we could substitute
carrying water about for the more usual hoeing & hand weeding. :-)

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars.