Old 16-11-2003, 03:12 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] out of print: which do you want re-published?

Robert Moore wrote:

Hi Folks
I've been following this with interest. But ultimately the
difficulty is that any reprinting would need to be full colour, high
quality, wouldn't it? And a publisher would need to be looking at
substantial sales to even recoup production and printing costs.
The anthology idea is neat for a reader, but a problem for a
publisher. As the extent of the book is enlarged, the production
costs are too. It seems (to me, only as an editor, not a techo
production person) that the economies of scale are only there when
you can get good sales numbers. Making fatter books just increases
the cost of production.

snip

All the books quoted make me
salivate at the thought of a reprint!

Cheers

Rob

I had a friend in Maine who had a small publishing company, and he used to say that
the first book cost $10,000, the rest were free--implying of course, that the
greatest expense is in the setup. Then you're left with the problem of selling the
books to recover the cost.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Carl Rosner++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++