Old 16-11-2003, 03:33 PM
Pam Moore

Default Planting in Gabions

On 15 Nov 2003 11:09:58 -0800, (Stephen
Ward) wrote:

I am thinking of using Gabions to retain a 12 ft bank approx 8o ft in
long and situated on the North side of may property.

So, several of us have learned something today!
There is an alternative on the Gardeners' Question Time site;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/gqt/
which has been there for months!
Bunny Guinness suggests building a turf wall. Instructions are there.
Also on a TV gardeing prog a few years ago someone had built a
retaining wall of old tights filled with soil. By the time the tights
rotted away things had grown into the soil. I suppose it would take a
lot of turf or tights if your bank is 12 ft high!

Pam in Bristol