Old 16-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Steve

Default Rye or Ryegrass for Winter Green Mulch?

Phaedrine Stonebridge wrote:

We get a lot from Johnnys but i have to say that the rye we got from
them last year did not do well here in Missouri Z5b/6 at all. My DH
says he got it this year from Millers but i think he meant Mellingers.
It is doing a LOT better than the stuff we had last year.

How long does the rye need to grow before winter sets in? I would like
to try it sometime but I think our seasons change too fast.
This year we got to the middle of October before the frost killed much
in the garden. About a week later I pulled everything out, got it to the
compost pile and tilled the garden. This week, the ground is frozen, and
there is snow on the ground. Some years the snow comes in November and
stays until April.
I suppose I could find time to clear out the corn that is finished
earlier and plant that part. I could pull other plants before the frost
actually comes but I always find that hard to do.

Steve