Old 16-11-2003, 06:12 PM
NetMax

Default how long do fishtanks last?

"LeighMo" wrote in message
I ask because I the seals on my 29 gallon planted tank seem to peeling

at the
edges. I bought the tank new in 1989, and it has been up and running
continuously since. There are many algae-eating critters in the tank
(bristlenose pleco, various species of snails, an oto or three, etc.),

and I
suspect one or more of them have been gnawing on the seals to get at

the algae
growing on on them.

Is it time to buy a new tank, or am I being paranoid?

Leigh

Hi Leigh, AFAIK, the silicone sandwiched in between the glass panes
performs most of the structural integrity, while the extra bead run along
the inside is primarily to protect the sandwiched silicone from predators
(which you mentioned) and to provide a more uniform water-proofing
barrier. Essentially, your 29g could have no silicone bead along the
inside, (only the sandwiched silicone) and it would still be structurally
sound. If you have a lot of wear & tear on the bead, inspect the
sandwiched portion for bubbles (areas of weaker bonding and potential
water paths), and for any discoloration (water/humidity ingress with
algae growth or calcium deposits). If your sandwiched silicone is sound,
but the bead is very mangled, then your tank will just be incrementally
more vulnerable to a potential leak. If you ever observe the reverse,
where the bead is sound but the sandwiched silicone is in bad condition,
don't stand in front of that tank ;~)

I don't think age is a good indicator of tank condition. There are too
many chemical formulas for silicone and the surface preparation prior to
applying the silicone is very important. A properly prepared surface
with a high quality silicone operating within it's specifications will
probably outlive anyone old enough to be reading this.

JMO, I can't remember how I came to think that I know these things )

NetMax