Old 16-11-2003, 07:12 PM
Mark. Gooley

Default Edging for mounded rose bed ...

"Daniel Hanna" wrote in message
home.com.au...
In Mark. Gooley wrote:
Mark., just my 2 cents worth, and perhaps not worth that

I disagree, there were some great ideas amongst that lot!

Thanks.

I've tried a few different forms of edging, including treated
pine, but at the end of the day I'm won over to sandstone.
Expensive, yes, but it will last longer than I do and I can get
back to worrying about roses.

Yes, local rock that you can afford is definitely a good idea, if
you don't mind having to handle heavy things -- or paying others
to do that for you.

Here it's either compact limestone from the quarries near Ocala
(this is why Ocala is in thoroughbred country: limestone near the
surface of the soil; Newmarket in England and the Kentucky
Bluegrass area are two more of about half a dozen places in the
world deemed superior for raising racehorses), or those weird
irregular chert boulders found near Gainesville (southwest
Gainesville to maybe Williston ). I suppose that one could
buy a few tons of either, whack it into suitable shapes, and dry-fit
it into low stone walls; if you own a few acres in the chert country
you'll turn up plenty of them on your own, or I suppose you can
swipe some on the weekends from a road-construction project.
Last I heard, people are selling it; there are huge dumps of it near
Kanapaha Botanical Gardens (I don't know if it's being stockpiled
or whether people would thank you for removing it, honestly).
Many boulders are surely in the multi-ton range: good luck with
those. Some of the chert could certainly be sawn up and made
into decorative tiles, if anyone were so inclined.

Likewise bits of concrete slabs, if you don't mind the look, or
stone or brick from wrecked buildings. Again, there's the weight.

Mark.