Old 17-11-2003, 03:12 AM
Purple Linny LeCompte

Default Quick intro

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 22:03:30 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 04:04:37 GMT, Purple Linny LeCompte
wrote:

Recently hit TX from U.K., can't wait to get stuck into my new garden
when we move in a couple of weeks.

You'll be in for a lot of surprises. Let us know what some of them
are. Particularly the nice ones.

Will do. There have been a few surprises already - probably things that
most might take for granted. I could only keep Boston fern inside my house
in England - I loved my huge plant that I called 'Sideshow Bob'. I see over
here it grows everywhere.. wild... likem weeds! Being able to have
flowering plants all through winter here is great too - the frost would
kill them stone dead over there. I mean... pansies... in November!?! hehe

Where in UK to where in TX?

South of England - a historic city called Gloucester - about 150 miles NW
of London, across the atlantic to Pearland - about 15m south of Houston.
So, I've gone from being cold most of the time to TOO HOT. I miss my
sweaters...

Perhaps tomatoes outside a greenhouse will be a treat?

I did have success with toms outside - they did really well. Think I'll try
my hand at some more native things over here, but that won't be until after
the big clean up. I'm inheriting a large, well looked after garden, but has
been left for some months. There's lots of trees too so the leaf coverage
will look after the soils and I'll have plenty of mulch to kick off with :-)

And doing rain dances a
New Thrill?

lol - haven't got that far yet. Ask me again next year when I'm trying to
get me veggies to grow ;-)

Thanks for all the input and help with my cactus query too folks.
A very nice group y'all have here.
--
Lynda