Old 17-11-2003, 03:42 AM
animaux

Default Transplanting Climbing Rose

On 17 Nov 2003 03:13:29 GMT, (FLDIXIEREBEL) opined:

Good evening to all,

Can someone here tell me when is the best time of year to transplant a climbing
rose bush, I'm not sure how old it is. I live in the Florida panhandle it that
helps.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Mayday

In the southern parts of the U.S. I would say best time is after the plant loses
it's foliage. Sometime in December or January. The plant needs at least 3
months to re-establish a root system. Roses are horrible root plants. You will
have better luck if you fully prepare a hole now, make the appropriate
amendments to the soil by using a lot of compost. After this heat wave we've
been having in the southwest-southeast, you can move it. Unfortunately, you
will have to prune it, so waiting till the brink if you can is best. I
transplanted an antique climber last March and it didn't recover until July. It
sparsely flowered. If I would have moved it in Jan. it would have recovered
before the sun blaze.