Old 17-11-2003, 04:42 AM
J Kolenovsky

Default Composting milestone

I don't necessarily have a milestone. For years, I've gathered 150-200
sacks of leaves every fall and use a chipper shredder to grind them down
and let them sit till late spring, early summer. Good leaf mold. A year
ago I started a landscaping company and I ran out of storage space as I
carry inventory of trees, shrubs and perennials. Last December, the guy
who introduced me to composting 11 years ago and who was a major player
in what I'm doing today, bought the house next door. He had it moved off
the lot in March and the empty is a vicorty garden/native plant/pond
site "green" area. I collect leaves and clippings throughout the year
and give him a good amount. Last Sunday we went out and collected 120
bags and shredded them down to a 10' wide and 4' tall mound. Would have
gone today but I had a presentation and we had our first rain in 2
months. We'll go another 2 times and that will do for fall. I'm
fortunate that he has some vacant land. Now, if I could just find a
cheap warehouse....

J. Kolenovsky

dstvns wrote:
=

Hi,
=

As of this month I've been composting kitchen scraps and brown paper
products for roughly 4 years. At an average of 500 lbs per year I've
saved over one ton of trash from being wasted in the landfill I
hope everyone else is having as much success.
=

Dan

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky