Old 17-11-2003, 07:32 AM
hermine stover

Default Starting Bamboo

Will they start
rooting if left in water like many other plant & tree cuttings
do or do they require special treatment?

You might try asking in (rec.gardens bamboo). I'm not a bamboo expert
but as I understand it some bamboo's will root from culm cuttings but I
think they are mostly tropicals.

The tropical clumping bamboos, the Bambusas, Gigantochloas and the
like, some more easilly than others. But still, not in water.
One may take a two node cutting of Bambusa vulgaris vitata and drill a
hole in between, fill with water and seal with grafting wax. this will
then shoot stems and leaf out, i have seen this hanging in a friend's
greenouse, but it needs to be planted in earth to root out. this is
one of the easiest of all bamboos to propagate from culm (cane)
cuttings. in a good year i have rooted branchlets this way.
hermine