Old 17-11-2003, 01:02 PM
Charles Peters

Default No Spikes???-Thanks, but one more semi-hydro question

Thanks for some great thoughts, I will remain committed. As for some
of your excellent questions: temp goes up to about 70 during the day, 55 at
night. Plants are not too green, but I'm no expert either. I suspect I
may be over fertilizing, as I tend to be like most beginners, and think
more is better. One question though. Is it okay to leave out the
fertilizer for a few weeks in semi-hydro, or is some nutrient always
necessary in that medium

Charles Peters wrote:

I'm kind of new to all this, but have about 20 orchids, mostly onc's
and phals. I've grown them outside in the summer (Baltimore, MD) and
wintered them in my basement under HID lights ( 250 HPS in the Fall, MH
in the Spring, cycling from 14 hours in October to 12 in December) with
flours to supplement. Fertilize with Dyna Grow 1/4 tsp. every
watering. But very poor results to date. Good root growth, many in
semi-hydro, but no spikes so far this year. I'm wondering if the drop in
temperature in the basement, 55-60 F at night, might be inhibiting
blooming. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Charles