Old 05-02-2003, 05:22 PM
Shiva

Default More, Better Blooms!

Susan H. Simko wrote:

Shiva wrote:

I write from my own experience. How about you, Roland? Have you seen

this
disastrous effect happen? I would be very interested to hear from

people
who are speaking of their own experience. People with too much time on
their hands come up with impressive theories all the time, and

frequently
publish articles written in quite the authoritative tone.

Must admit that I do the same thing as Shiva - dig out very large areas
for beds and replace with good soil with som efertilizers mixed in.

Thanks for speaking up. You know what kills me? All the many, many people
who have been doing this for years and now have lovely, rich, well
draining rose beds are not speaking up. Bah! G

be honest, I don't see the difference between amending or replacing
because sooner or later, you're still going to hit a barrier where the
solid clay begins.

Precisely! Here is another thing: how many of us have perfectly flat lots?
Mine is a bumpy one on the side of a hill in a hilly area. Such is
Raleigh. So this is another distinction the Texans who espouse this crap
to the world need to take into consideration. We do not all live on flat,
flat land that is mostly below sea level. (As is east TX, around Houston,
certainly.) There are good things about east Texas, but the dirt and the
climate ain't two of 'em! Drought, flood, drought, flood, tornado,
drought, flood. Makes for exciting times, anyway.