Old 17-11-2003, 06:02 PM
pat

Default Leaf Problem - your suggestions needed.

Hi Scott:

I use a 10+ yr old monkey wards/MTD 18hp 46 reg deck/blades with the
twin bag attachment. Couple of yrs ago found the plug that turns the
deck into a mulcher but if I don't empty the bags/tube first time
around acts like a mulch mower without messing with plug. Don't
really think make/model that important Neighbor uses Snapper 38 inch
same way. Think The key is mulch first and pickup later. Northern
tool and hyd has the chipper/shredder cart combo for about $750 IIRC
that is mentioned farther on. Think 2 advantages would be better
compaction like 15:1 and if you take the deck tube off it acts like
big shop vac to get out of fencerow gardens etc. Have a 5 hp chipper
that have been toying with idea of making my own but havn't got my
round tuit yet. 1 thing I am going to try soon is leave bag frame/tube
on and wrap a burlap bag with bottom out around tube to just let
mulched leaves fall to ground in windrow. Without an extension they
just go everywhere including on me! Think your place like mine and
even with mulching need to pick up or will kill grass overwinter

"sjohnsen" wrote in message ...
Pat,
Sound like your system works well. What size and brand mower do you use? I
suppose its a rear bagger. A 6 to 1 reduction in volume would sure be
helpful.
Thanks Again,
Scott

"pat" wrote in message
om...
We have about 1/2 your area but huge 150 yr old trees. First I take
the riding lawn mower with the bag attachment and run over entire area
that I want to pick up never emptying bags. When done dump bags and
clean out chute then go back over chopped up area emptying bags when
full. Think I am getting about 6-8 to 1 compaction so it really cuts
the trips/empty time down

(Chet Hayes) wrote in message

om...
"Bugman" wrote in message

I think I'd run that one by your local equipment rental place.

They're sure
to have a few suggestions.

`chris

Riding mower with a mulching deck, large bag in back