Old 17-11-2003, 08:04 PM
martin

Default What a Wonderful Year

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 19:47:51 -0000, "Martin Sykes"
wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

Did anyone see the Beeb program on the gulf stream last Thursday?
We could easily be growing reindeer moss within a few years.

Please note that it was NOT scare-mongering - one likely result
of global warming is that the gulf stream will stop or (worse)
turn south earlier, and the south of England will revert to
tundra. Pity about those of you further north, of course. What
nobody knows is the timing and exact probabilities, but it is
certain that the change could take place within a few years when
and if it happens.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Yes. 'The Big Chill', on Horizon. There's a lot of talk about it on the user
board at www.climateprediction.net where there's a lot of us running
simulations on our home PCs to see how likely it really is. It'll be a long
time before the results are through but one suggestion is that the sink zone
where the gulf stream sinks again wouldn't have to actually stop. If it just
drifts south a bit then it'll get a lot colder here without a resultant
ice-age.

It's just over 40 years since the last time an imminent ice age was
predicted.

There are as many weather theories as there are weather researchers.
--
Martin