Old 17-11-2003, 10:03 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default How to Buy Koi?

I was wondering how the porgs here select their koi? BV

My koi range in price from $1.50 to $80, with the majority being in the
$30 price range. Since butterfly are my fancy I look at the fins first,
coloration 2nd. Buying at the end of the season will score you better deals
than the early season, but you have to take into account quarantine time
when purchasing late.

Case in point, my $80 purchase was for an 8" pure platinum butterfly,
purchased in June, so I had plenty of time to quarantine and use a canary
fish. 7 weeks total in a 70 gallon tank. Unlike another club member who
purchased in late August a similar butterfly only 3" for $10, but she'll
have to keep it inside for 9 months in a 55 gallon aquarium. That's a long
time to keep the water quality and food amounts just right so it isn't
stunted. ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a