Old 17-11-2003, 10:22 PM
hermine stover

Default Planting vines on house for sun shade?

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:31:58 GMT, kevins_news
wrote:

My backyard faces southwest and is quite long. Nothing around for
shade. Consequently, that southwest wall gets BAKED all day by the
sun. It is brick and manages to hold a whole lot of heat. Well into
the evening darkness you can still feel quite a lot of heat radiating
off it if you stand outside by it. I don't want to put in trees.

I'm trying to find a good way to cut down on this heatsink.

One solution is to construct a free-standing trellis next to the wall
and grow the vines on THAT, because some vines do damage structure.
I believe you will find that such a planting, or ANYTHING which
screens the house itself will have considerable benefit in lowering
the heat load.