Old 18-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Cheryl Isaak

Default Planting vines on house for sun shade?

Hi Kevin!
Actually, have you considered annual vines? Some like Scarlet Runner Beans
or the ilk? You then get the advantage of the heat sink in the winter!

I know nothing about vines/flowers. I just assumed that nothing would
grow tall enough in a single season to be effective so i was just
assuming a permanent type of vine. I grow snow peas in my garden but
they don't get much higher than my 6 foot trellis thing. And the
house is a two stories. Maybe these scarlet runner beans grow fast
enough to be effective? I'm open to any type of suggestion as long as
it might help do what i want.

Yes they can - do a little research on what grows well near you. I remember
reading in Organic Gardening (way back, when it was still worth reading)
some one using runner beans and lab labs (? Long time ago) to shield a
sunroom that too much summer sun making it unusable.

And if i got a perennial vine, do they keep their leaves in the
winter? I thought they would drop their leaves allowing the brick to
absorb sunlight in the winter. But i admit i really have no idea.

Like I said, do a little research!

OR (I have a passive solar house) extend the eaves to shield out the sun on
that side over the summer when the sun is high in the sky.

I've only been in the house for one year. Don't want to think about
major rennovations yet :-) If i could go back to when construction
started i'd put in extra insulation, buy a higher efficiency furnace
instead of the default 'builder model', put in a whole house air
exchanger, and not fall down the stairs. But i can't.

Been there, done that, have the t-shirt! oh the things I'd do differently!

But - do the research for a good vine that would grow quickly up a simple
trellis - string would work!

Or maybe a pergola along that side for the vines? - are there lots of
windows on that side

Cheryl