Old 18-11-2003, 01:22 AM
anton

Default Camellia and neighbours extension

SarahH wrote in message ...
We have a lovely mature (10-15 years old) Camellia very close to the
boundary of our property near the house. Its around 10 foot tall now, Im
planning on pruning it back to 8ft after its flowered.

We are in a semi-detached house. The attached neighbours are planning a
single storey extension at the back. If the foundations go to the
boundary and cut off half the roots how likely is it that we will have
an ex-camellia? Is there anything we can do to save it?

This isn't based on any specific knowledge of cutting camellia roots, but if
the extension is only at the planning stage then you presumably have some
time before the brick hits the cam.

How about beginning to cut the roots now? Maybe you could cut
half-way along the boundary, severing some of the roots, and then in six
months' time cut along the other half of the boundary. The resulting trauma
might be only half as bad for the camellia.

--
Anton