Old 18-11-2003, 03:12 AM
dkar

Default No Spikes???

Just to add a completely worthless comment...
I've neglected my orchids (30 or so) more this year than any other year and
I have more in spike now than ever (9).
I think you can over pamper them. That, or they're just happier to see me
less

"Susan Erickson" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:18:01 -0500, "Ray"
wrote:

The key to phal spike initiation is the day-night temperature difference,
not so much the absolute minimum. It needs to be in the 10°-15° range.

1/4 tsp fertilizer/gallon is probably OK.

Phals - as far as I know - are not influenced by day length.

I concur with the question about distance from the lights, as energy
absorption is a factor of both time and intensity.

I think Joanna is correct. I have seen something suggesting that
Phals with more than 12 hours of light grow slower and are not as
apt to spike as those held to 12 hours. I definitely would cut
the lights to 12 hrs. I also don't remember the type of light
your using. If it is fluorescent you need the lights very close
to the plants. If one of the high intensity lamps, the distance
is greater.

I would try Joanna's suggestion. Cut the fertilizer out
entirely. It will be a shock if nothing else, although I agree
with Ray, that should not be enough to bother the plants.

Generally - Note this is a general rule. Orchids with deep green
foliage and growing lush looking plants means you are not giving
them enough light. With summer outdoors you should be able to
bloom in the basement. I have done it with the old bulbs and
just 4 tubs to a shelf.

How long have you been bloomless? One year or 5? For one year,
it is a disappointment, but not completely unexpected. 5 it is
something else.

SuE