Old 18-11-2003, 04:02 AM
hermine stover

Default sago palms

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 01:56:44 GMT, agnatha3141
wrote:

hi there,
i am not myself an avid gardener so much as an orchid enthusiast, but i
have recently been caring for a dying sago palm outside of my house.
here in florida there has been a recent epidemic of what is known as
"scale" upon the local cycads. scale is some kind of terrible insect
that has been recently introduced to the area, and no one at all knows
what to do about it. has anyone who reads this forum been able to
tackle this pest? i have heard rumors that flea and tick spray works
but it does not appear to be doing anything currently. i am very much
desperate to save it.

Have you spoken to other Cycad enthusiasts in your area? i know
florida is full of them, We are an offshot of the Palm Society and we
founded the Cycad Society in Miami about oh, 1977 (rough guess). you
cannot be the only suffering person.Do you wqnt me to comb through the
membership in your area of Cycad people whom you could contact? I
could do this if you cannot find your Palm Society people DeArmand
Hull in Miami, Richard Button in Coral Gables, these are some savvy
people, i am sure you could look them up!

I would like to hear how this turns out. regular old cycad scale shows
up in southern California and looks horrid, in can bleed a plant to
death if it gets out of hand....
hermine@endangeredspecies