Old 18-11-2003, 04:42 AM
Henry Cate

Default Rye or Ryegrass for Winter Green Mulch?

In article ,
FarmerDill wrote:
I've read that Rye is good for a winter green
mulch. I went to the local Orchard Supply Hardware,
and Home Depot. All they have is Ryegrass. When
people refer to Rye, I'm assuming they mean the grain,
right? Where can I get Rye seed?
Thanks.

The best place to get rye is from a local seed and feed store or farm supply.
It comes in 50 lb bags, but many will break the bag and sell it by the lb. Rye
will work, but it does not make the tonnage of green manure and is more
difficult to kill in the spring. It takes about a lb to cover 200 square feet.

Thanks for the information about Rye.
What is a better crop for producing lots of good
green manure?

--
Henry Cate