Old 18-11-2003, 02:12 PM
Myrmecodia

Default Greenhouse ideas?

Rob Halgren wrote in message ...
I'll be building a greenhouse this spring. Michelle said no new
tractor, so I'm getting a greenhouse instead. I'll build it from
scratch, just because I'm an ornery cuss and cheap to boot. Soliciting
all (most) information about suppliers of good greenhouse building
materials. Or if anybody knows of a few good websites or newsgroups,
that would help too. I'll spend all winter drawing pictures.

Rob,

Check out http://www.sundancesupply.com

I used their design guide extensively, although I did add additional
bracing to prepare for the inevitable hurricanes.

I used pressure-treated 2x4's and 8 mm polycarbonate for construction.
The pressure treated lumber because it was cheaper than redwood or
cedar, and the polycarb because it won't break when tree branches fall
on it.

Since you are in the great white north, you might want to build a
solid, insulated north wall. If you can get hold of a nail gun, it
will greatly speed up construction of the frame.

email me at nplummer[at]duke[dot]edu if you want to see pictures of
the greenhouse at various stages of construction.

Regards,
Nick
--
myrmecodia-at-yahoo-dot-com