Old 18-11-2003, 04:28 PM
agnatha3141 agnatha3141 is offline
Registered User

Location: florida, usa
Default When to water these phal's?

Quote:
Originally posted by White Monkey
I rescued new phal a short while ago. It has huge, oblong leaves and a
massive spray of GORGEOUS white and purple flowers--and clear evidence that
someone's been chopping its roots off to stay in the tiny pot, God knows for
how long. Poor thing has no crown to speak of, just massive leaves and big
flowers coming straight out of the ground. No sign of rot or bugs or disease
or anything. So I repotted this fellow a couple of days ago. He's perking
up: one of those giant, floppy leaves is dramatically less floppy, and all
the small leaves are sticking out straight.

The question is, how long after a plant with [potential] root damage is
repotted does one leave it before watering, to avoid rot?

I dont know if this helps, but when i have phals that have gone through rotting problems, i take them completely out of the old mix, rinse them off and spray them with a fungicide that i got at the local hardware store. because i dont want to add them to completely dry sphagnum, then i spray the mix with distilled water, which helps water down the abrasiveness of the fungicide as well as keeping the roots moist. it is very effective with my phals and it keeps me from worrying that they will rot or dry out. i am far from being an expert with these particular orchids, but it is something to try if you like. good luck.

---