Old 18-11-2003, 06:12 PM
David J. Braunegg

Default Platys and plants

Kay wrote:
I have platys in a 55 heavy planted tank and they have not touched them.

Maybe its the type of plant you have cause I noticed the platys eating algae
but not the plant.

I'm not sure of the name of the plants I used--they were bunch plants
with lead strips to hold the stems down. The store didn't have the
plants labelled by name and I didn't ask. Looking at pictures in an
aquarium book, they are probably one of the following: Egeria densa
(Elodea densa), Elodea canadensis, or Hydrilla verticillata.

I clipped off the now-bare stems, then planted two of the remaining tips
and let the other three float. I haven't noticed these tips getting
eaten much, so I still wonder if it might have been related to the
female Platy being hungry because she was going to give birth.

The fact that you haven't had your platys eat your plants gives me some
hope.

Dave

P.S. The young man at the store said that I didn't need to wash the
plants off before planting them in my tank. I've killed the four baby
snails that appeared and I haven't seen more, so maybe I got off lucky.
If I try live plants again, what should I do to get rid of snails/snail
eggs before I plant them?

Thanks again--Dave