Old 18-11-2003, 06:42 PM
kevins_news

Default Planting vines on house for sun shade?

On 18 Nov 2003 10:10:21 -0800, (simy1) wrote:

kevins_news wrote in message . ..
One last question. I know i can look up what climate these roses
prefer. And i know many people who grow small rose bushes around
here. But hopefully someone can speak from experience and tell me if
these climbing roses will survive in my type of climate?

By november we're getting days below freezing. We get snow and it
says during the winter. Down to -20 Centigrade (-4 F) regularly.
March we start going above freezing and it's april/may before we hit
+20 C. During the summer we get stretches of 20 C at night with 35 C
during the day ( 77 F - 95 F).

Kevin

You have better choices than roses. I would recommend hardy kiwis.
They will cover your trellis in no time, they are a pretty plant, and
you will get fruits in 5-6 years (which are better tasting than
regular kiwis). They also have a high foliage-to-branches ratio, so
the wall will be fairly uncovered in the winter. Make a sturdy trellis
as they are very prolific once mature. They are easy to manage during
the growth phase as these vines are very pliable. Once they cover
everything, you will have to prune or they will cover EVERYTHING.

something that fruits would be great. But i think i'm on the 4b 5a
transition for my zone. i'll have to see if these things would
survive.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to be researching this all
winter.

Kevin