Old 18-11-2003, 08:02 PM
FarmerDill

Default Rye or Ryegrass for Winter Green Mulch?

Thanks for the information about Rye.
What is a better crop for producing lots of good
green manure?

I know of nothing better than rye for a winter green manure crop. I meant to
say rye grass doesn't produce as much tonnage but notice that I forgot the
"grass" part. Many folks sow a mixture of rye and hairy vetch. The vetch is a
legume and supposedly adds mor nitrogen to the soil. Of couse if you allow your
plot to lie dormant in late summer buckwheat is excellent. Crimson clover is
also good but both tie up the plot during parts of veggie groing season.