Old 19-11-2003, 01:32 AM
Susan Erickson

Default Greenhouse ideas?

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:41:34 -0500, Rob Halgren
wrote:
One of the things I'd look at is the potential for passive heating as a
supplementary source of heat. A certain amount of heat will enter the
greenhouse, and if you have rain barrels, full of water painted black, and
sitting in the sun, they will absorb a certain amount of energy. The other
thing I'd look at is the potential for using a wood burning stove. I know
my sister and her family save a bundle using one to heat their home. I
would suppose that similar potential exists for heating a greenhouse.

When we built - being from Chicago we dug down to the house
footings and put it in 1/2 a story below ground. The outside
dirt is the height of what Wendy would call a pony wall. The
inside benches are at that level and I have steps so I can see
and reach the back third of the bench.

We have about 6' of cobbles under the gh covered with gravel the
size they do drives and landscape with. Then when the whole
works sunk about 12 years in we put a board walk of 2x4's on edge
covered with 2x4's as planking. It almost gives me enough height
to reach the back of the bench.. almost.

The best thing about all that rock. It collects and holds the
water when I water, it provides a humidity pump when it gets warm
and it releases heat all night long. We run N-S along the West
side of the house (backyard). So it is not the best exposure in
the world. But it works. Also using hot water heat because we
could extend a line from the house. Hot water heat is common in
Colo. We cut our heating bills drastically just by changing the
N and S end caps to twin wall. The twin wall was only as thick
as the glass it replaced. We have a 20 year old Lord and Burnhum
(not spelled correctly) Metal frame single sheet of glass. We
were going to use the plastic insulation - never got to it. And
could not figure out how to get to the top. It is easy to set up
a scaffolding inside and build the thing. Horrid to try to
repair the vent or even clean the top glass.

So - 1/2 story in the ground is great equalizer on temp.
Twin wall is great to cut heating costs
Thick Rock floor makes water reservoir and thermal mass.

Ask for the fans for Christmas. She will not think so much about
the cost and they will not be part of next summer's bills.

SuE