Old 19-11-2003, 04:22 AM

Default Reverse Osmosis System

Dave Millman wrote in message ...
Keith wrote:

Actually, I wanted to get one for my fish as well. I prefer to keep
small rainforest fish, characins, cyprinids and lampeyes mostly. I
started to aquire some plants that seem to only do well in soft water.

That list is really short (less than 2% of all the plant species commonly kept in aquaria is my
understanding). The list of plants that will do POORLY in soft water is, to the chagrin of us sof****er
fans, much longer.

The choice for an RO is never for the plants, this is a fish decision.

There are no sof****er only plants. Not a one.
You may find them in soft water, but that means they are getting their
nutrients from the soil rather than the water column. Soft water is
not required for good plant growth, to say so is myth and can easily
be disproven, I've grown well over 200 species in very hard water, so
have many others.

If they do well in hard water how can one say this about "soft water
plants"?

RO taste good which is the main benefit for me.

Regards,
Tom Barr