Old 19-11-2003, 06:02 AM
B & J

Default Oxalis deppei - overwintering

"Zemedelec" wrote in message
Will they survive in the ground or
should I dig them up? And if so, how should they be stored?

Oxalis, like crime, never sleeps. I suspect it would survive in the

antarctic,
along with cockroach eggs. Not grow, mind you, but bide its time until

the ice
melted then take over the world (to be shared with the roaches.)

Actually now that I've encouraged some burgundy-leaved oxalis to grow

where it
can be admired but not ravage the garden, I like it. I just keep an eye

on it.

zemedelec

Oxalis deppei will not survive northern winters. I raised them outside in
zone 3, northern MN and found they die when left in the ground. When the
foliage froze in the fall, I dug up the root, which resembled a white
radish. I collected these roots, put them in an open cardboard box, and
stored them in a cool, dry place until the following spring. The white
radish-like root dried up, but a quantity of small bulbs surrounding the
crown were available for next year's planting. This oxalis makes a wonderful
border plant.

John