Old 19-11-2003, 09:02 AM
Djay

Default How many bubbles per minute?

"Mort" wrote in message
om...

"Djay" wrote in message

"Mort" wrote in message
news
Hi all, I just finished my first DIY CO2 injection. I am having a

little
trouble regulating the bubbles at such low rates. How many bubbles

per
minute should I be going for? I have 6 bpm right now. Is that too

many?

TIA

~Mort

Mort,

Regulating DIY CO2 is futile. DIY CO2 production starts off slow -

ramps
up - peaks - ramps down etc. Very hard to regulate. How big is your

tank?
DIY only works for tanks less than about 50 gal. You should measure the

CO2
concentration by measuring your KH and PH levels. Lower PH means higher
concentration of CO2 in your tank. Chuck Gadd has a great page

explaining
all of this and a straightforward chart that explains the relationship
between CO2, KH and PH.
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

HTH,

DJay

Thanks DJay, I'll be sure to check that out when I get home.
The tank is a 29g hex with a RUGF and some over driven lights.
I checked my pH just after installing the CO2 and it was 6.2.
I can't seem to find my other test kits ATM (could be at work, I'll have

look around) but I'll get that tested right away. Thanks again!

~Mort

29 gal should be fine with DIY CO2. I used to do the same with my 37 gal
and the CO2 concentration was just fine. What is the PH of your tap water
(after you let it sit several hours?) Compare that PH reading to your tank
PH and you should see a difference.

DJay