Old 19-11-2003, 11:02 AM
Dwight Sipler

Default blowers

Mary Ellen Magoc wrote:

..."According to the Lung Association, a leaf blower causes as much smog as 17
cars . "
. . .

. . . "This paints a bleak picture for the power blower. It is perhaps the
most over and inappropriately used landscape tool . Autumn's tremendous
amounts of organic debris that requires collection might be considered
appropriate use of this tool. However, the weekly routine of blowing abuses
the soil and damages landscape plants while the noise generated creates ill
will from neighbors and clients alike. Leaf rakes deserve a renewed interest
in the maintenance of landscapes."

There are appropriate uses for this tool. The blower gets into corners
and under porches and bushes much better than a rake. It gets leaves out
of window wells.

There are inappropriate uses for this tool. Weekly use is overkill. My
blower gets used only once or twice a year for leaves. (it's also a
sprayer, so it gets used during the summer also). The blower does not
handle wet leaves or large piles of leaves as well as a rake. The rake
is infinitely superior when gathering leaves into a compact pile.

I recommend both tools, used appropriately. Being male, I have to say
that "more tools is better".

As far as pollution goes, my car gets used much more than 17 times as
much as my blower.